Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sewing Basics!

Macey will come up with an urge to do something and wants to have done it yesterday!  She decided she wanted to learn how-to sew.  The way she worded it to me, "I want to learn how to sew, but you probably won't teach me."  When have I ever denied such a request.

It did make things a little difficult to grant such a request since my sewing machine is currently not working.  However, Macey's friend Janiel has a mom that is an excellent seamstress.  I suggested we team up with them.  Smart move on my part, if I do say so myself.  She already had a pattern and had previously taught a 4-H sewing class back in Utah.  Bonus!


Monday night Macey and I made a run to JoAnn's for fabric = $7.  Tuesday we got started about 11am at the Prime's house.  The girls pinned on the pattern, cut out the fabric and sewed their pj pants all on their own with minimal interference from the moms.
Pinning
Cutting
 


Nicole was an awesome teacher.  The most help they needed was feeding the elastic through the waistband.
Nicole Prime & daughter, Janiel
Janiel sewing



Macey sewing - first time!



 We started about 11am and finished about 2:30p.  We even had lunch in between.  I was so surprised they were able to go home with their finished product!  What an accomplishment.
Two fun friends!

Two silly girls!

3 comments:

Nicole and Brent Prime said...

That was a lot of fun. I am glad that we did it. We need to do it again. Thanks for taking pictures. The girls did a fabulous job!!!

Joe and Emily said...

Very fun! I recall Mom trying to teach me sewing and it did not turn out so well. I was too stubborn about doing it my way and Mom always thought it should be done the way the instructions said. There were many tears and and cross words (from my end). I ended up taking some sewing lessons from Michelle Harper.
But, I must say that Mom's sewing skills have come in handy many a time over the years (brilliant wedding quilts, hemming many a pant, fixing many a hole). I like to think I'm a more humble learner these days.

By the way, I love your background.

Tillotson Family said...

Gabby is jealous. Wish we were there!